Then, I remembered I am not going camping, so perhaps, like me, you aren't either....
I looked at the calendar, and to be honest, it is kinda bare.....
So, just what is a townie supposed to do on May 24th weekend?
Well, here's a thought or two:
- Go shopping! Saturday brings another Handmade Market at the Hotel Mt. Pearl, House To Home has a tax free savings event on now through Sunday and Stella & Dot has a 50% off sale online. Or - and here is my favourite shopping idea - head downtown and pop in and out of every little store that catches your fancy :-) When you need a break, pop by the War Memorial to let the kids hang out and tell them any family military history while you are there. Or bring them to Harbour Side Park and let them climb on the Newfoundland & Labrador dog statues there :-)
- Take a walk in Victoria Park (brave souls can roll down the hill!), Bannerman Park (play on the swings!), Bowring Park (feed the ducks! Birdseed, not bread - available at Bulk Barn :-), or at Pippy Park (where the trails will lead you to believe you did go out of town, plus you can pop into the Fluvarium for their Kids Program at 1:30 both Saturday and Sunday to boot!). Or stroll though the Botanical Garden - a beautiful, cheerful place for young and old alike!
- Head to Topsail Beach or Middle Cove Beach and marvel at the beauty of the ocean.
- Go iceberg hunting - Iceberg Finder show several "active" 'bergs on the Avalon right now!
- Want a little day trip? Try a walk through Manuels River Park, or the boardwalk in Holyrood (visit the marina or the old train car while you are there), or pack a picnic and visit the day-use area of Butterpot, situated near Big Otter Pond.
- Or, keep it uber-simple: Bust out the hockey sticks, soccer balls, bubble wands and bikes and head to your neighbourhood park! Once you get back home, have a BBQ ;-)
Whatever you do.... have a great May 24th Weekend!
|source: The Weather Network, submitted by Connie Duffett|