Within St. John's, there are events at Signal Hill (Sunrise Ceremony), Cape Spear (10AM-6PM) and Confederation Hill, among others.
Events at Confederation Hill are rain or shine, and begin at noon with Family Fun games, karaoke and colouring contest, followed by cake at 12:30, and many more family activities (tattoos, face painting, chance games, bouncy castles, mascots, scavenger hunts, PRIZES, etc) all afternoon. There is also a Memorial Day concert on Confederation Hill from 12-5, featuring local acts such as Colleen Power (singing songs for children) and Fergus O'Byrne. Visit www.stjohns.ca or calendar below for more details.
Quidi Vidi Lake also gets in on the action with a family concert from 8-9:30 at the bandstand (Celtic Fiddlers, Hilary Moores and Michael Davis). The concert will be followed by a red flare in recognition of Memorial Day and Canada Day Fireworks at 10PM.
Canada's Big Birthday Bash on George Street will include outdoor barbecues, busker performances, children's programming and fireworks, and live entertainment from 11 AM to 5 (see calendar or visit www.georgestreetlive.ca for line-up and details).
Another great outdoor venue will be MUN Botanical Gardens - this is the place to go if your kids want Canada Day crafts, stories, activities, nature hikes and would like to feed the ducks :-). And, if it rains, The Rooms is open from noon until 5!
For surrounding areas:
- Check out the Mt. Pearl celebrations at St. David's Field - noon to 3:00PM. Family entertainment includes: Terry Kelleher, Tim Barnes, Hot Hoops Hula Hoopers, and Sky High Amusements, face painting, & Juggler and Balloon Twister James Burke, and much, much more. Wear red and white for a chance to win a prize. Admission is a non-perishable food item. (Rainy day site is the Reid Community Centre). Details here.
- Join the Town of Paradise from 11AM - 10PM. They will have a lot of fun activities for the whole family with competitions for every age, games, bouncy castles, face painting, a BBQ, a free concert and a Fire Works display - click here for details.
- In CBS, head over to the Conception Bay South Recreation Complex (Swimming Pool) from 1-3 PM for a Flag Raising Ceremony, musical entertainment, square dancers, bouncy castle, face painting, hot dogs and cake! Details here.
- Travelling around the province? Visit these links to find events in your area: recreationnl; newfoundlandlabrador; seaandbescene.
- 10 red and white decor ideas for Canada Day from Style at Home
- Favourite Canada Day Recipes from Canadian Parents
- Ideas for a festive Canada Day from Canadian Living
- Canada Day 2011 Guide from Today's Parent
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA!