Therefore, I decided to try to stay away from the "ones everyone knows about" - you know: Dr. Suess, Sandra Boynton, Beatrix Potter, Margaret Wise Brown, Robert Munsch, etc. - and instead share some books we love (i.e: can recite by heart ;-) that you may not necessarily have heard of.... sooooo....
Drum roll please....
Here are but a few of the books I have read over and over and over again with my Peeps :
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson - A kind-hearted witch provides a ride for some animals, who are later able to return the favour.
- Duck In The Truck by Jez Alborough - a cute tale with a catchy rhyme about a duck who gets his truck stuck in the muck!
- How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food by Jane Hyatt Yolen - OK - I might be cheating here as this series is quite popular! We have most of the How-do-dinosaurs books, if not all of them, but this one, the first that we read, remains our all-time favourite!
- Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes - A curious, hungry Kitty tries desperately to reach the moon.
- Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood - a fishy little counting story.
- Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins - OK, maybe you know of this one too ... not only a favourite with my boys, but is also one of those books fondly remembered from my own childhood - I love the rhythm of the story.
- The Boat by Helen Ward & Ian Andrew - A grumpy old man and a menagerie of animals are in danger on their isolated hill top home during a storm. Makes me weep every time!
- Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel - about a boy who falls in a well and his younger brother's struggle to get help for him quickly! My ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE BOOK when I was a young child!
Are any of these on your favourites list? I'd love your suggestions - leave a comment! :-)