I guess though, that it does make sense - it is the last long weekend of the summer after all - we should all be gone around the bay!
If, however, like me, you are hanging around town, then I say we all head out and enjoy these last few days of summer in style! Have the crowd over for a BBQ, find a pool and go for a swim, or head to one of these outdoor treasures:
- Topsail Beach - challenge the kids to find a heart-shaped rock...
- Manuel's River - walk the trail and search for a fossil...
- Middle Cove Beach - jump the waves...
- Signal Hill - based on your children's ages and your sense of adventure, pick a direction and a trail and head out for a nice walk.
- Cape Spear - when is the last time you were there? Do your kids know its history?
- Quidi Vidi - looks totally different when it is NOT Regatta Day!
Or, pack a picnic and take a little day-trip (....and make the most of it by taking the old backroads or CBS Highway instead of the TCH and buy some fresh local veggies from one of the street-side stands ;-):
- Bell Island - kids LOVE the ferry ride, and a trip "off the island" seems so exciting!
- Holyrood - Stop by the Marina to check out the boats and walk the boardwalk.
- Carbonear - enjoy the drive and then go horseback riding at Earl's Riding Stables.
- Ferryland - explore the history of Lord Baltimore's settlement with the kids!
- Salmonier Nature Park - in addition to the animals on the map, can your kids find squirrels, grey-jays, a bat house and some tadpoles? Only one way to find out ;-)