In celebration of the day, there is an International Women’s Day fair today from 12 noon to 1:30 p.m. at The Landing, at MUN. There will be booth displays, local multicultural female artisans and crafters, and a celebration of Aboriginal Canadian women. And, on Saturday, from 10 AM - 5 PM, The Multicultural Women’s Organization of Newfoundland and Labrador will hold an International Food and Craft Fair at the Holiday Inn. This will feature multicultural performances and international fashion shows. Admission is $5 for adults, free for children 10 years and under.
Also on this weekend:
- Don't miss Love You Forever and Other Stories by Robert Munsch at the LSPU Hall tonight through Saturday. This play, adapted from four Robert Munsch books by two Newfoundlanders, Sandy Gow and Willow Kean, is perfect for young audiences. Tickets are available at the Hall, $15 for adults, $10 for children and $30 for families of 4.
- Help support local girl guides AND re-live the magic of Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone on the big screen, Saturday at Mt. Pearl Square, 10:30 AM. Details in calendar ;-)
- There is a Book Collection Blitz from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at various locations throughout the metro area - look for the collection cars/vans at these site:the east parking lot of the Arts and Culture Centre; Building 297 at Memorial University’s Mount Scio Rd. site (opposite the Botanical Gardens), or at the back section of the WalMart, Merchant Dr (Mt. Pearl) parking lot. This book sale is sponsored by the Canadian Federation of University Women in preparation for its annual book sale for scholarships at the Arts and Culture Centre in St. John’s April 19.
- This week's theme for Family Fun at the Rooms (Sun 2-4) is Irish Dancing: Children will enjoy a dance lesson with local dancer Shawn Silver, and learn a quick step or two while enjoying an earful of traditional Irish music. Comfortable shoes are recommended!
- Don't forget these weekly events as well: Build-A-Brick Club at the Admiralty House Musuem on Friday evenings (register in advance; details in calendar); Kid's Program at The Fluvarium (this month's theme is Wake Up; Sat/Sun at 1:30); and the St. John's Kid/Hava Java Palydate on Sunday morning!
Have a good one ;-)
For details on events in & around town, check my events calendar regularly - it is on the bottom of EVERY page :-) The Tely Go Guide published in Arts & Life section every Thursday is also a good source.
If you have something to add to the Calendar, please let me know! Complete details can be found here and I welcome being added to any "Events Distribution list" your facility might have :-)