- Looking for a cool way to introduce science to your children? "Potato Chip Science" not only includes 29 experiments using chips & related items to teach concepts ranging from energy conversation to forensics, it also comes packaged in a chip bag! About $18; http://www.workman.com/. (Parents magazine, February 2011).
- Children's art work piling up? Gretchen Rubin - author of The Happiness Project - color copied her kids' art work and had them bound. This reduced clutter but still enabled her to enjoy their projects. She also suggests keeping just one piece... and by keeping just the one, it becomes that much more precious (Good Housekeeping, January 2011)
- Hilarious, yet useful.... did you know there is an app to let you know the best time to pee (yep, you read that correctly) during a movie? It is free, and available at runpee.com (GH. Jan 2011)
- Gum can be good - Chewing sugarless gum can reduce acid in the esophagus and reduce reflux in children over the age of 4. And it also helps keep food particles away from teeth by increasing saliva. (Parents magazine, January 2011).
- Fires can happen anytime. Make sure your children know 2 escape routes from each room (i.e.: window/door); the outside meeting spot (easy to identify and away from the house), that they must leave ASAP and NOT come back in, and sit down with them to fill out that escape route map that always comes home from school and post it where it will be seen frequently. (Parents magazine, January 2011)
- A weighted blanket can help some children sleep. There is a formula to calculating just how heavy it should be though: visit this site for more details: http://www.ehow.com/
- Last but not least, if you haven't heard - the Metrobus strike is over! Buses are set to resume their regular schedule Monday the 31st. And, as an added incentive to "take the bus" Metrobus will be providing free rides up to and including Feb 14th, and will have a special fare of only $1 from the 15th-28th! Details on their website: http://www.metrobus.com/
Tidbits of information I picked up this week.