Vegetable-Pepper Cheese Corn Muffins
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 c. skim milk
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. cheddar
1/2 c. mozzarella
1/4 c. Parmesan
3/4 c. "Garden Vegetable" Egg Creations (or other egg substitute)
1/4 c. low fat mayonnaise
1 - 12oz. can of corn nibblets
1 finely chopped red pepper
1/4 c. fresh grated Parmesan or sharp cheddar
- Combine milk & lemon juice. Set aside 5 min or until thickened.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking soda. Gently add cheeses. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine milk mixture, egg beaters and mayo. Add canned corn & red pepper.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients a third at a time. Stir until just moist.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups (makes about 18) or a greased bread pan. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.
- Muffins - Bake at 375 for 30 min or until cake tester comes out clean. Muffin tops will be firm.
- Bread pan - Bake at 375 for 45-50 min or until cake tester comes out clean. Top will split nicely.
How the Kids can help: Mix & measure dry ingredients, measure wet ingredients, grease pan, sprinkle tops with cheese. There is a great science lesson to be learned in the thickening of the milk with the lemon juice ;-)