See, I had a hankerin' for oatmeal cookies, and I wanted to use up a bunch of apples we had, so I started playing around. And guess what? After the apples were all shredded, then I realized I didn't have any margarine, butter, applesauce... nothin'. All I had was veggie oil ...and mayonnaise. Which I used, no problem, but I do think the texture of these "bars" would have been closer to what I imagined had I had some butter. They are more like a cake or a muffin, not at all crisp like a cookie. Oh well. They did satisfy my craving, and Toad loves them - since they aren't too bad health wise, and feel like a muffin, he plans to have some for breakfast in the morning! Let's call them ...
Apple Oatmeal Muffin Bars
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. low fat mayonnaise
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. liquid egg whites (or 4 egg whites)
5-6 peeled & shredded apples (about 3 1/2 - 4 cups)
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. oats
1 c. chocolate chips
- In large bowl, stir together oil, mayonnaise, sugars, and egg whites until frothy and well blended. Add shredded apples. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon & salt, sift until well blended.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture.
- Stir in oats until well blended.
- Add chips.
- Spread into greased 15 1/2" x 10" bar pan/stone. Bake at 350 for 18-20 min or until it springs back upon touch and toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
How the kids can help: measure and pour ingredients, mix ingredients, eat apple peels so they won't be discarded, taste test the chips ;-). And oh, don't forget to plant those apple seeds!