....which means I am a day late - oops! Sometimes, life & home commitments get in the way of blogging - I know! The horror!!
But, never you fear - I carved you out a special time this morning, see? Well, actually, you can thank my good friend: her other commitments got in the way of our coffee date this AM! (I know, I know, this "other commitment" thing is just ridiculous when it comes to blogging and hanging out. I mean, get real! ;-)
Well, folks, we are lucky little campers this weekend: there is so much on the go with Culture Days! This is a National initiative to celebrate our Canadian Culture. A few local events you might want to take in:
- Today until 3PM, there is an Open House at the Fine Arts Program at the Waterford Hospital that will feature Beadmaking form Clay. It could be a sneak peak before their annual Christmas sale - find out what they make and how it helps those involved.
- Saturday from 2-5 PM, visit the CBC building for their 75th Anniversary Open House! Take the kids for a behind the scenes look at the TV studio and newsroom and let them try reading the weather! A great educational and fun experience, for sure!
- On Sunday, join Neighbourhood Dance Works at Cochrane Street United Church (1:30-3:30) as they present performances by some of Newfoundland’s top dance artists.
- The Rooms has FREE ADMISSION all day Saturday and Sunday (woot!) - so head over to take in the exhibits or one of these events: Working on History (artifacts from our province’s history, heritage and cultures - you are invited to share what you know - or would like to know - about them); Genealogical Fun (where the kids can construct a simple family tree to share with family members of all ages); Sketch-n-Stretch (reach high to assist in creating a giant mural in celebration of Culture Days). Details and times for all these programs are in the calendar.
Also this weekend:
- AAMP's rescheduled Youth Open Mic is tonight from 7:30-9:30 at the Reid Community Centre. This is for budding performers of all kinds, ages 13-19 only. (Let them know to expect you at: email@example.com)
- I love Fall Fairs! This weekend, there is one at St. Thomas’ Church on Military Rd. Their annual fall fair starting at 9AM Saturday!
- Saturday from 10-3, MUN Botanical Garden hosts the Ken Proudfoot Potato Festival. What a unique idea - to celebrate potatoes! The day will include: potato tasting, Jigg's dinner sales, potato peeling contests, and fun for the kids (arts and crafts, including potato stamps, nature hikes, duck feeding, story times, and more). Admission by a food (or fund) donation. All proceeds help support the Community Food Sharing Association.
And, last but not least, in addition to the Run for the Cure this weekend, there is also the The Walk to Remember on Sunday, Oct 2, at 2 p.m. at The Bungalow in Bowring Park. This international annual event is held to remember babies who have died through stillbirth, newborn death, miscarriage or other pregnancy losses. We are often unable to find the words to express our sorrow during these events - walk for your own loss or a friend's and take comfort in the gathering of like minds :-) (Note: October is Infant Loss Awareness Month with the 15th designated as a special Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day in Canada.)
So, there ya have it.... and all that in addition to the regular hikes, farmer's markets and family fun programs in the City! See the calendar for any details or contact information and....
Have a great weekend!
For details on events in & around town, check my events calendar regularly - it is on the bottom of EVERY page :-) The Tely Go Guide published in Arts & Life section every Thursday is also a good source.
If you have something to add to the Calendar, please let me know! Complete details can be found here and I welcome being added to any "Events Distribution list" your facility might have :-)