When purchasing gifts, remember:
- WHICH TOY FOR WHICH CHILD - Always choose age appropriate toys (I would add: follow the manufacturer's guidelines along with common sense - the guidelines are often based on safety issues, not just developemental milestones!)
- GEAR UP FOR SAFETY - Include safety gear whenever shopping for sports-related gifts or ride-on toys, including bicycles, skates, and scooters:
- Scooters and other Riding Toys - Helmets and safety gear should be worn properly at all times and be sized to fit
- Small Balls and other Toys with Small Parts - avoid toys with small parts, as they can cause choking, for children under three
- Balloons - Keep deflated balloons away from children younger than eight years old. Discard broken balloons at once.
- Magnets - For children under age six, avoid building or play sets with small magnets as they can cause serious injuries and/or death can occur if swallowed
Once the gifts are open:
- Immediately discard plastic wrappings or other packaging on toys before they become dangerous play things.
- Keep toys appropriate for older children away from younger siblings.
- Charging batteries should be supervised by adults as chargers and adapters can pose thermal burn hazards to young children.
I hope this helps with your shopping :-)