Seriously though, who doesn't have leftover potatoes? And wouldn't you like something other than hash to make out of them (not that hash isn't good, but it can get a little been-there-done-that-ish). So, when I came across this recipe on Creative Homemaker, I remembered the pommes de terre in the fridge and thought, I can work with that! We didn't have everything from the original readily on hand, so this is the tweaked recipe with my additions, omissions and substitutions (you're shocked, right?):
Leftover Potato Casserole aka: Weekend Leftovers Supper
6 -8 medium pre-boiled potatoes, chopped (Leftover from Sunday night!)
3/4 cup of leftover grilled chicken breast (ditto ;-)
3 slices cooked (crisp) bacon, chopped (Leftover from Saturday mornin' ;-)
1 can sweet corn (Leftover from... wait a minute - just opened ;-)
1 can broccoli & cheese condensed soup
3/4 cup sour cream (left over from Saturday Night!)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt,
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried Parmesan & herb mix
3/4 c. shredded cheddar
10-15 crushed bacon crackers
- Mix potatoes (gently) with bacon, chicken & corn.
- In a separate bowl, mix soup with sour cream, garlic powder, salt, pepper & herbs.
- Carefully add potato mixture to soup mixture & fold in.
- Transfer to stone ware baking dish; bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Take out & top with shredded cheese & crushed bacon crackers. Return to oven, bake another 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
How the kids can help: measure & pour ingredients, chop potatoes (regular butter knife or plastic knife will work fine on the boiled spuds), mix soup with cream & herbs, crush crackers.
Now, while Mario is not a fan of potatoes in any form, he did eat everything else. But, this recipe was a HIT with everyone else: Toad announced it is his FaVoUrItE cAsSeRoLe - woot! He's been getting tricky to feed supper to here lately, so this was a personal victory :-) And, DH felt the potatoes were better the second time around than they were the first - which WAS a compliment because I don't do cooked dinner!