What a hectic week! I managed to get my hard-core cleaning, floors and dusting done, but, I do admit to just throwing the toys on the closest chair in order to accomplish it all.... which means we still need to tidy. However, based on the chaos and excitement here this morning, I think any tidying will be in vain and soon be ... undone shall we say!
My mind has already switched from To-Dos to What-to-dos... as in: what to do this first weekend of summer vacation. I means besides ignore the jumping on the bed as I down a celebratory glass of wine (or two)? Honestly folks, it is a real dilemma - there is so much to do this weekend in the city that it boggles the mind!!! Here are a couple of things to try to fit in:
- St. John's Days Celebrations start Friday morning and continue all through the weekend until Sunday night! There will be cake at the Visitor Centre daily, a scavenger hunt, open houses, concerts, soirees, and many more events throughout the City - click here for the complete schedule.
- Then there is the Whale Festival - This event is tied into the St. John's Days Celebrations and will take place at Signal Hill on Saturday and at Cape Spear on Sunday. I think it sounds like so much fun: there will be all sorts of fun family activities including a series of informative films and recordings of whale sounds, access to the marine touch tank, a "blubber glove" to discover how a whale swims, and a real skeleton to put together! Plus, Parks Canada staff will help you look for and identify whales in the waters. Sure to be a "whale of a time" (couldn't resist ;-). Scroll through the St. John's Days Events here for complete details.
- If your kids are keen on the Armed Forces, then head to Quidi Vidi on Saturday for the Canadian Forces Day events: they plan to have armored personnel carrier rides, assault boat races and rides, a search and rescue demonstration, children's amusements, Signal Hill Tattoo Band & small musket display and demonstration! And, also at the Lake - the Discovery Day Regatta, featuring 10-15 races starting at 9AM and continuing through early afternoon.
- Windows on the West End is on all weekend, but Saturday especially has caught my attention: there will be a performance of three of Shakespeare By the Sea's spookiest offerings at the Newman Wine Vaults! Details here.
- And don't forget the Teddy Bear Picnic on Friday at Bannerman Park if you have little ones... or the Baby Massage Class at the Wellness Centre Sunday if you have really little ones!!!
- What about Date Night you say? Never Fear - I have it on very good authority that Le Nozze di Figaro at Holy Heart Theatre last night was an immense success and is filled with great talent! There are so few opportunities to see live opera locally, why not give it a try?
Cars 2 also opens this weekend, and Mr Popper's Penguins got good reviews from the critics last week. If, by some chance, you still haven't found something that tickles your fancy, then there are many more activities in the calendar - have a look-see and plan your weekend :-)
Have a great one!
For details on events in & around town, check my events calendar regularly - it is on the bottom of EVERY page :-) The Tely Go Guide published in Arts & Life section every Thursday is also a good source.
If you have something to add to the Calendar, please let me know! Complete details can be found here and I welcome being added to any "Events Distribution list" your facility might have :-)