- Friday night is "Midnight Painting" at Clay Cafe Avalon. I may just have to grab a friend/kid or two and head over... quite a lot left on the old Christmas list ;-)
- Miss the St. John's Santa Parade? Or the kids were in it and would like to be a spectator at one? Head to the Mount Pearl Christmas Parade, Saturday AM at 10 (starts at the MPS High school and goes down Park Ave). Or the Goulds Parade: Sunday, starting at 1 p.m. at the racetrack and ending at Bidgoods Plaza - non-perishable food items and letters to Santa will be collected along the parade route. Prizes, hot chocolate and Timbits will be given out at the Lions club after the parade.
- The Mummer's Festival has officially started (for details and info, see www.mummersfestival.ca) and one of their first events is the Hobby Horse Workshop Saturday from 10-2. The entire festival is a Newfoundland Cultural revival and this workshop's goal is to familiarize participants with hobby horses (and their bottle cap eyes and naily-teeth ;-) and also to build some of the horses to be used at the upcoming Mummer's Parade.
- Michael's has two Christmas craft events this Saturday - a Christmas Countdown Calendar at 10-12 and a Decorate Your Own Stocking Make & Take from 12-2. Please note this is while supplies last and purchase of some materials may be necessary.
- I am so excited about the December Theme for the Kids Program/Family Fun at the Fluvarium! O Christmas Tree will enlighten children on where this popular holiday tradition comes from and why evergreen trees are important to our forest and river friends throughout the winter! Saturdays & Sundays at 1:30pm, now until the 18th.
- The Festival of Music and Lights, at Bowering Park, is a celebration of holiday lights and sounds with musical guests performing during the late afternoon, prior to dusk, culminating in a lighting of the trees surrounding the duck pond and main paths. There will be hot chocolate and cookies will be available during the performances. (You have to go - the duck pond lit up is one of the sights of Christmas after all ;-)
- The City of Mount Pearl will also host their Tree Lighting Ceremony in Centennial Park on Saturday at 6:30pm. School choirs will lead the singing of favorite Christmas Carols - song books and hot chocolate will be available!
- If you haven't yet braved the line-up for photos with Santa at the mall (and believe me, today it was massive!), there IS hope: Sunday morning, from 10:00am-1:00pm, the Paradise Girl Guides will host Brunch with Santa (at the RPYCC) and - whoo-hoo - kids will have the chance to meet Santa and get a picture with him once more!
- More crafty entertainment Sunday afternoon (2-4PM) at Family Fun at The Rooms: this week's theme is Pop-up Cards (how cool is that??). Children can recycle cards and tags into new meaningful Pop-up cards for that special someone this season!
- Don't forget your pooch! Heavenly Creatures’ sixth annual Pet Pictures With Santa event is this weekend: Dec. 3 from noon to 8 PM. and Dec. 4 from 1:30-8:30 PM. at St. Teresa’s Church.
There are tons more events on-going throughout the week as well - check the calendar for details on Cookies For Santa Platelass at Clay Cafe (Tuesday) and White Christmas The Musical (Thursday) among other activities to fill up your days and evenings (because with work, kids, shopping, decorating, etc I just know you are looking for something else to do ;-)
Have a good one!
For details on events in & around town, check my events calendar regularly - it is on the bottom of EVERY page :-) The Tely Go Guide published in Arts & Life section every Thursday is also a good source.
If you have something to add to the Calendar, please let me know! Complete details can be found here and I welcome being added to any "Events Distribution list" your facility might have :-)