I know, I know, you want to know what is up now, this weekend, not on Canada Day or Regatta week! OK, here goes:
- The big event this weekend, which you have surely heard about or seen the billboards on, is the NL Kids Expo at the Remax Centre. The event hosts over 50 exhibitors who will showcase products and activities geared specifically towards children.Throughout the weekend, there will also be many other activities to partake in: information sessions, games, contests, kids activities and a display of the newest and most exciting ideas and trends for kids. And, of course, there will be bouncy castles, face painting, characters and morel! Best place for details on this one are the events facebook page, here.
- Saturday also marks World Ocean's Day and DFO is celebrating in grand style with a free family event at the Marine Institute on 155 Ridge Rd . Learn about oceans and sea creatures and how you can help keep them healthy. There will be a touch tank, fish pond and free cake and refreshments, as well as ocean songs with local children’s entertainer Terry Reilly. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m June 9rh. For more information call Melissa Abbott at 772-6270.
- The theme of the Kids Program at the Fluvarium this month is New Beginnings. Find the answers to the following: What is a fry? Where do tadpoles come from? Do dragonflies really live in water? and learn about the life cycle of our freshwater friends Saturdays and Sundays at 1:30 p.m. from June 9-30. Preregistration is recommended.
- Many craft markets on the go this weekend: 'tis the season ;-) The Cochrane Street Men’s Club will host a plant, book and bake sale Saturday, June 9 at 9 a.m at the Church Hall; the Mount Pearl Crafts and Things Market is also on Saturday from 10-4; The St. John's Farmer's Market is Saturday 9-2pm; and of course there is the CLB Market on Sunday.
- The St. John’s Orienteering Club is meeting this Sunday June 10 at 1:30 p.m. rain or shine. Starting location is at the end of Long Harry's Road on Bell Island. Maps are $2. Beginners welcome. To pre-register and for more information, visit the website at www.sjoc.ca.
- St. John's Kid Hava Java Playdate is planned for Sunday morning as well!
- Last but not least: Thomas Amusements is still at Zellars on Stavanger and will be there until June 10th before heading to the Goulds Race Track for a few days (June 13-17th).