Today, September 13th, is Roald Dahl's birthday and is Roald Dahl Day to celebrate him and his works!
Happy Birthday Dahl!
|source: roalddahlday.info email|
I LOVED Roald Dahl books as a child - I still do! They were even some of the first chapter books I read with the children. His works are so funny, I would not be able to pick a favourite. Somedays, it is The Twits, others it is George's Marvellous Medicine....or The Witches...And I can't forget Charlie and the Chocolate Factory....Or The Magic Finger..... Or The BFG.... Fantastic Mr. Fox... Matilda....
.... See what I mean? The list just goes on and on!
Now, in addition to being one of my fave authors, Roald Dahl was also a very wise man who said: “When you grow up and have children of your own, do please remember something important: A stodgy parent is not fun at all! What a child wants - and DESERVES - is a parent who is SPARKY!” ... My kind of guy :-)
I don't know about you, but I think today is the day to heed his advice and have some fun for the sake of it! So, what can we do to celebrate Roald Dahl Day? Here's my list of last minute ideas that can easily be fit in to an already hectic schedule - yours or mine :-)
- Read out loud from your favourite RD book
- Declare yourself Willy Wonka and take the kids to Bulk Barn for a treat!
- Make up silly words and their definitions (great supper time chat!)
- Get the kids to draw a picture of the family a la Quentin Blake style
- Watch Charlie & The chocolate Facotry, Fantastic Mr. Fox, James and the Giant Peach or one of the many other movies made from Dahl's books....
- or try out one of these ideas :-)
To discover more of the world of Roald Dahl, visit RoaldDahl.com - bookmark it and keep on hand any time you surfing with the kids as it is a wealth of information and games :-). Also check out RoaldDahlDay.info where you'll not only find out about the theme of this years' R.D. Day (see picture below for a clue), but also get ideas for celbration, party packs to download and more fun.
Happy Birthday Dahl!